January 13, 2011

PURPLE Friday

I am not a huge football fan, but I do support Baltimore’s sports teams, the Orioles and the Ravens. I live about a five minute walk from both of our sports stadiums (stadii?). On warm days, I can hear the cheering from the games, which is always lots of fun. There is a buzz to the neighbourhood before and after the games, with everyone arriving hours before the game to tail-gate, and hunt for parking spaces. Luckily, we have residential permit parking, so it’s not much of a problem.BaltimoreRavens

The Fridays before games are designated as Purple Friday, and as such, I am participating. Raven’s purple is a really difficult colour to match. Sometimes, it looks very dark blue like in the logo above, and other times it’s a deep purple like this hoodie.  thumb

It’s also a very hard colour to light, because purple is so close to the end of the spectrum. But in Baltimore, we try and light signature buildings with purple.

Here’s Baltimore’s City Hall

City Hall Johns Hopkins Hospital’s famous domeHopkins The Washington Monument in BaltimoreMonument I am so predictable… I wrote about the same topic almost exactly a year ago when I went out on a bitter cold night and took some pictures of the purple.  We lost that game, but hopefully, we will win this one! Purple Friday 040

I’ll be wearing a pale purple black cashmere sweater and a deep purple pashmina tomorrow in solidarity.

 

WHAT TIME IS IT?

GAME TIME!

11 comments:

  1. My five year old is standing next to me and says to tell you "I really like those Ravens".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Howard County office building is lit up in purple, too. The whole area is excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Redskins land as did dh but PURPLE is my grandson's school color, Gonzaga in DC. My dil says she sometimes gets odd looks if she is wearing purple in NoVA. I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I'm not a huge football fan (and my dad is a Redskins fan, anyway), but there is something about seeing the city lit in purple, with thousands of purple-wearing people walking around, that can't be beat.

    This weekend - playoffs AND Steelers - is doubly exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Meg, your Ravens are coming into my town and it's all about black and gold here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oldest son is a Vikings fan and one of the reasons he chose them (at age 5) was because he loved purple! The other two men in my house are die hard Giants fans - the oldest is a contrarian - just wanted to be distinctive. Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Bob, do you think the uniforms are grape or aubergine?" Love the Purple Fever in Baltimore during the playoffs. See you later today!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend in Annapolis told me they are equally purpled out. There are two pedalsted cows on Harry Truman Drive, part of a government complex, and annually they are decked out in a variety of things, but right now they are Raven's Cheerleaders. Purple fever, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun post! I love the night time photos...purple lighting in the evening is quite dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw your team lose :-( I was pulling for them; Ravens in the Superbowl means crabcakes(!); Steelers in the Superbowl means pierogies, which are much less exciting.

    PS--It's stadia.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.